Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#760449 - 01/06/2004 11:37 PM This Funky House Growth spurt thing ***  
Jay Offline
Is Cliquey
Jay  Offline
Is Cliquey

Listening to Khemikal Imbalanc...
lots of people are starting to jump on the funky bandwagon, even on this site it has happened.
People who were once into HH are now saying its shite and for kids and now they are more refined clubbers.

is it that Funky is getting better, or are these people the same people into Garage 2-3 years ago, then HH and now Funky. Cos its in??

I cant understand how some people can love a genre of music and completely turn their back on it 5 minutes later. and say its all crap. understandable if the scene is lacking inspiration but you you dont rule it all out completey.

Funky house is a phase, fr the trendies to chew up and spit back out before the next genre comes along for them to shag.

#760450 - 01/06/2004 11:43 PM Re: This Funky House Growth spurt thing [Re: Jay]  
Phil_B Offline
...more bangin than a whores bed!
Phil_B  Offline
...more bangin than a whores bed!

in my secret mountain hideout!
its fashion dontcha know sweety, fashion

'you've got to be in it to win it!' www.djphilbenson.co.uk CLUBTHEWORLD DJ
#760451 - 01/06/2004 11:44 PM Re: This Funky House Growth spurt thing [Re: Jay]  
Highlander Offline
Highlander  Offline

Funking it up!!!!!

i can quite happly say that i hard house and funky!! always have done and always will

Living the dream!!!!! Idle thumbs are dangerous!!!!!!
#760452 - 01/07/2004 12:15 AM Re: This Funky House Growth spurt thing [Re: Jay]  
colin66 Offline
The Man With No Title
colin66  Offline
The Man With No Title

erm .....
Quote:

Jay said:
Funky house is a phase, fr the trendies to chew up and spit back out before the next genre comes along for them to shag.

It's hear to stay man so .....

Tune of the moment: Chable & Bonnici - Ride msn: colin66_uk@msn.com
#760453 - 01/07/2004 12:22 AM Re: This Funky House Growth spurt thing [Re: Highlander]  
Mr_Moo Offline
CTW's Resident Pikey
Mr_Moo  Offline
CTW's Resident Pikey

In the Funky Room!!! Or Peterb...
I agree with Callum, i LOVE funky and hardhouse.

I just think some hardhouse is shit, always have, just as i think some chart songs are shit, and some are ok, and some i like.

Personally i know that people change, tastes change as they get older. Id never really heard techno, and when i had it was shit, so thought it was shit, wasnt until i heard Hawtin and Fergie play that i thought... hmmm i like this.

It also gets boring goin to the same clubs to see the SAME DJs over and over again... Even if its not the same club, its the same DJs.

#760454 - 01/07/2004 12:41 PM Re: This Funky House Growth spurt thing [Re: Jay]  
FredTheBaddie Offline
FredTheBaddie  Offline

Fat Tulip's Garden
Quote:

Jay said:
lots of people are starting to jump on the funky bandwagon, even on this site it has happened.

What do you mean 'even on this site'. This site was originally mainly funky, especially when all the scousers were on here. How little you know James.

Quote:

is it that Funky is getting better, or are these people the same people into Garage 2-3 years ago, then HH and now Funky. Cos its in??

I cant understand how some people can love a genre of music and completely turn their back on it 5 minutes later. and say its all crap. understandable if the scene is lacking inspiration but you you dont rule it all out completey.

Well then they obviously don't 'love' the genre, they're just following the lastest fashionable thing. Either that or their taste has just changed.

Quote:

Bollocks. I think you'll find it's Hard House that's the phase, otherwise why would all the people be moving away from it ? It was fashionable so they were into it. Now it's not and people are moving away from it. And who exactly are you talking about ?

Fred The Baddie Email: FredTheBaddie at ClubTheWorld dot com MSN: Fox_Raynard at hotmail dot com I am not part of any majority -- Now in my MP3 player : Agnelli & Nelson - Holding on to Nothing --
#760455 - 01/07/2004 12:47 PM Re: This Funky House Growth spurt thing [Re: Mr_Moo]  
CreamyC Offline
CreamyC  Offline

Carpal \'Tunnel

London
Quote:

Mr_Moo said:
I agree with Callum, i LOVE funky and hardhouse.

Agreed. Although I change 'love' to 'like'.

Quote:

Mr_Moo said:
I just think some hardhouse is shit, always have, just as i think some chart songs are shit, and some are ok, and some i like.

Agreed.

Quote:

Mr_Moo said:
It also gets boring goin to the same clubs to see the SAME DJs over and over again... Even if its not the same club, its the same DJs.

AGREED 100%. Same bullshit, week in, week out. Thats why I couldn't be arsed with my mates, it was the same with them. Been saying that for about 2 years now but some people wont accept that. Its all about varation.

CreamyC™ Email: CreamyC@ClubTheWorld.com MSN: CreamyCTW@Hotmail.com Mobile: 07956 462 642 (T-Mobile)
#760456 - 01/07/2004 12:58 PM Re: This Funky House Growth spurt thing [Re: FredTheBaddie]  
Jay Offline
Is Cliquey
Jay  Offline
Is Cliquey

Quote:

FredTheBaddie said:
Quote:

Jay said:

What do you mean 'even on this site'. This site was originally mainly funky, especially when all the scousers were on here. How little you know James.

What when there was about 20 people on the site??
How many Funky events has CTW hosted??
How many funky Dj's are CTW Djays??
I dont think 4 or 5 people who went to Garlands posting on here for 5 mins makes it a Funky site do you??

Quote:

Jay said:

I cant understand how some people can love a genre of music and completely turn their back on it 5 minutes later. and say its all crap. understandable if the scene is lacking inspiration but you you dont rule it all out completey

Quote:

FredTheBaddie said:
Well then they obviously don't 'love' the genre, they're just following the lastest fashionable thing . Either that or their taste has just changed.

So you agree with me then??

Quote:

Funky house is a phase, for the trendies to chew up and spit back out before the next genre comes along for them to shag.

Quote:

FredTheBaddie said:
Bollocks. I think you'll find it's Hard House that's the phase, otherwise why would all the people be moving away from it ? It was fashionable so they were into it. Now it's not and people are moving away from it. And who exactly are you talking about ?

I would hardly say HH is a phase, nor would I say Funky House was a phase as a whole. HH cannot be compared in a Fashion sense to neither Garage or Funky because it hasn’t got real street cred (to mugs who wear Burberry etc) in the sort of form these people are looking for.

i.e. Stand round and try and look a bit good ( read Vain, shallow cunt i/o Good)

Its just that Funky is becoming more fashionable and so people jump on the bandwagon, like they did with Garage. I like quite a bit of Funky, and I go out to Funky events now & then, but I see it happening, you go to a funky event and everyone is standing around wearing the same shit, its all 80’s retro at the mo, thinking there a fucking groundbreaker and real trendy when really they are just a sheep.

Quote:

FredTheBaddie said:
And who exactly are you talking about ?

You are taking this seriously arnt you Ray.

Tut Tut.

#760457 - 01/07/2004 01:04 PM Re: This Funky House Growth spurt thing [Re: Jay]  
CreamyC Offline
CreamyC  Offline

Carpal \'Tunnel

London
Quote:

Jay said:

I dont think 4 or 5 people who went to Garlands posting on here for 5 mins makes it a Funky site do you??

1. Yep, about 20 does it.
2. None, so what?
3. None, so what?
4. No, its not a Funky site, much to the same point its not a Hard House site or Trance site or Garage or Cheesy Pop.

CreamyC™ Email: CreamyC@ClubTheWorld.com MSN: CreamyCTW@Hotmail.com Mobile: 07956 462 642 (T-Mobile)
#760458 - 01/07/2004 01:09 PM Re: This Funky House Growth spurt thing [Re: CreamyC]  
Jay Offline
Is Cliquey
Jay  Offline
Is Cliquey

find where i said anything about "this site is HH"

i didnt, i said "some people on this site are changing"

Ray brought up the issue of it being originally mainly funky and i responded.

#760459 - 01/07/2004 01:11 PM Re: This Funky House Growth spurt thing [Re: Jay]  
CreamyC Offline
CreamyC  Offline

Carpal \'Tunnel

London
Fair play bro.

#760460 - 01/07/2004 01:13 PM Re: This Funky House Growth spurt thing [Re: CreamyC]  
Jay Offline
Is Cliquey
Jay  Offline
Is Cliquey

#760461 - 01/07/2004 01:14 PM Re: This Funky House Growth spurt thing [Re: Phil_B]  
Tony.P Offline
ClubTheWorld DJ
Tony.P  Offline
ClubTheWorld DJ

The Land Of Nod
Quote:

Phil_B said:
its fashion dontcha know sweety, fashion

#760462 - 01/07/2004 01:19 PM Re: This Funky House Growth spurt thing [Re: Tony.P]  
Agent Offline
ClubTheWorld News Writer
Agent  Offline
ClubTheWorld News Writer

Peterborough-ish
I think the site should go ragga

My new tune - Acid Test Read the CTW music news HERE DJ collapses after World record attempt "Dont u think its about time you grew up?" "No" Girl's are the Devil
#760463 - 01/07/2004 01:22 PM Re: This Funky House Growth spurt thing [Re: Agent]  
Jay Offline
Is Cliquey
Jay  Offline
Is Cliquey

yes blood

#760464 - 01/07/2004 01:27 PM Re: This Funky House Growth spurt thing [Re: Jay]  
Tony.P Offline
ClubTheWorld DJ
Tony.P  Offline
ClubTheWorld DJ

The Land Of Nod
think me and you would have trouble getting the dreadys to grow thou hey jay

#760465 - 01/07/2004 01:40 PM Re: This Funky House Growth spurt thing [Re: Tony.P]  
Jay Offline
Is Cliquey
Jay  Offline
Is Cliquey

ill make up for the lack of dreads with additional smokage

#760466 - 01/07/2004 05:12 PM Re: This Funky House Growth spurt thing [Re: Jay]  
Big_ee69 Offline
Funky House Activator
Big_ee69  Offline
Funky House Activator

Southfields - London
erm.. Frankie Knuckles and his brothers invented House in the early 80's when they fused disco and electronic music with a 4/4 drum beat, provided by the TB 303 to get the classic 120bpm that defines the House base beat. (As opposed to the disco beat, DnB beat ect)

This and varients are basically what Funky House is. It pre-dates Baleraic, Acid, Techno, Trance, Progressive, Tribal, Hard, and all the other House Genre's. And will outlive them cos above all, it has soul, and you can dance to it. Which can't allways be said about the others.

ee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ To hear, One must be silent Email:Big_ee69@hotmail.com Msn: Big_ee69@hotmail.com
#760467 - 01/07/2004 05:54 PM Re: This Funky House Growth spurt thing [Re: Big_ee69]  
Bushy Offline
CTW's Julius Ceasar
Bushy  Offline
CTW's Julius Ceasar

Ancient Rome
I've always liked all sorts of music, Funky, hard, techno, gabber, hardcore and drum n bass. But i draw the line sat Garage. That is shite, was shite, and always will be shite!

LET ME SHOW YOU HOW MY PIMP HAND IS WAY STRONG -------------------------------------- MARIA, COME TO TW5 Scream: 'fuck! that base is strong'
#760468 - 01/07/2004 05:58 PM Re: This Funky House Growth spurt thing [Re: Jay]  
Maria Offline
Maria  Offline

Likes it HARD !

On your face.
Quote:

Jay said:
People who were once into HH are now saying its shite and for kids and now they are more refined clubbers.

Jaaaaaaay my love.

I wouldn't say it was "jumping on the bandwagon". Il say this..

I was sat in th ecar th eother day / night, listening to hardhouse on CD - and for the FIRST TIME, I said to myself "this all sounds the same". I don't NOT like hardhouse, but, VARIATION is no harm done to anyone really.

I liek funkym and I am liking it oh so much (and I used to fookin HATE funky house) since attending Bar M in Ibiza.

Im open minded, and im not nieve (sp?) liek I used to be when it came to music (although I aint a naive person anyway).

Quote:

As I said - Variation is the key to a healthy outlook in the music industry !

#760469 - 01/07/2004 06:05 PM Re: This Funky House Growth spurt thing [Re: Big_ee69]  
Jay Offline
Is Cliquey
Jay  Offline
Is Cliquey

Quote:

Big_ee69 said:
erm.. Frankie Knuckles and his brothers invented House in the early 80's when they fused disco and electronic music with a 4/4 drum beat, provided by the TB 303 to get the classic 120bpm that defines the House base beat. (As opposed to the disco beat, DnB beat ect)

This and varients are basically what Funky House is. It pre-dates Baleraic, Acid, Techno, Trance, Progressive, Tribal, Hard, and all the other House Genre's. And will outlive them cos above all, it has soul, and you can dance to it. Which can't allways be said about the others.

ee

what the fuck has that bit of well known info got to do with anything.

go play with some traffic

#760470 - 01/07/2004 06:51 PM Re: This Funky House Growth spurt thing [Re: Jay]  
LiamStyles Offline
LiamStyles  Offline

ClubTheWorld Representative - Ireland

In the 'Mena
I can kind of see wher Jay is coming from. This year will see an even bigger year for funky house, yes funky house has been around for ages and will probably never go away. But with its rise in popularity, there will be countless numbers of "bandwagon jumpers" that will follow. Its inevitable. And whose to say that the same that happened to hard house wont happen to funky? Maybe it will go that little further and the scene be in a bad state afterwards.

Imo, some funky house is already just 2 steps from being pop shite. In the same token there are some awesome tracks around.

LiamStyles and Mistress Hoover, the hardcore of CTW !! Only the right people can be "found" "Well...........................You know the craic" [ LiamStyles - Bringin techno to the masses ] E-mail: liam@clubtheworld.com msn: liamstyles@hotmail.com
#760471 - 01/08/2004 12:33 PM Re: This Funky House Growth spurt thing [Re: Jay]  
liquideyes Offline
Anti-fun Campaigner
liquideyes  Offline
Anti-fun Campaigner

London, UK
Quote:

Jay said:
HH cannot be compared in a Fashion sense to neither Garage or Funky because it hasn’t got real street cred

I think it's very much like fashion.

Some people follow metal / rock etc (say because it's "rebellious")
Some people follow techno or drum & bass (some because they perceive it to be more "intelligent" than other dance music)
Some people follow hard house (perhaps because they like the competitive "caning it" culture, i.e. "my music is harder than yours", loads of drugs, boast about how fucked you are, etc)
Some people go to cheesy clubs and frown on "hard" dance music (because it's mindless, drugs are evil, etc)
Some people listen to classical music (because they think pop is not cool, and metal is just a load of noise, and dance is repetitive etc)

But fashion aside, a lot of people listen to some or all of these genres because they like them, period!

So what are you saying Jay? Do you think the majority of people who like funky house, do so because they think it's cool? Or just a few of them?

I like funky house, techno, drum & bass, trance etc... not because they are "cool" but because I really like them! Having had a hard house "phase" a few years ago, I find most hard house music quite patronising to listen to now. It's nothing to do with whether it is "cool enough" for me - I don't "look down" on it - I simply don't think it has that much depth compared with other dance genres.

#760472 - 01/08/2004 12:41 PM Re: This Funky House Growth spurt thing [Re: Bushy]  
liquideyes Offline
Anti-fun Campaigner
liquideyes  Offline
Anti-fun Campaigner

London, UK
Quote:

Bushy said:
But i draw the line sat Garage. That is shite, was shite, and always will be shite!

I disagree that it was shite. I've got loads of good stuff from around '97-99.

When I play it to some of my friends who thought they "hated garage", a lot of them say "oh, I didn't know that was classed as garage".

Garage is good when it is funky & soulful. It's shite when it's all MC's, naff lyrics and stupid "phat" basslines!

#760473 - 01/08/2004 12:58 PM Re: This Funky House Growth spurt thing [Re: liquideyes]  
Jay Offline
Is Cliquey
Jay  Offline
Is Cliquey

Quote:

liquideyes said:
Quote:

Jay said:
HH cannot be compared in a Fashion sense to neither Garage or Funky because it hasn’t got real street cred

I think it's very much like fashion.

Some people follow metal / rock etc (say because it's "rebellious")
Some people follow techno or drum & bass (some because they perceive it to be more "intelligent" than other dance music)
Some people follow hard house (perhaps because they like the competitive "caning it" culture, i.e. "my music is harder than yours", loads of drugs, boast about how fucked you are, etc)
Some people go to cheesy clubs and frown on "hard" dance music (because it's mindless, drugs are evil, etc)
Some people listen to classical music (because they think pop is not cool, and metal is just a load of noise, and dance is repetitive etc)

But fashion aside, a lot of people listen to some or all of these genres because they like them, period!

So what are you saying Jay? Do you think the majority of people who like funky house, do so because they think it's cool? Or just a few of them?

I like funky house, techno, drum & bass, trance etc... not because they are "cool" but because I really like them! Having had a hard house "phase" a few years ago, I find most hard house music quite patronising to listen to now. It's nothing to do with whether it is "cool enough" for me - I don't "look down" on it - I simply don't think it has that much depth compared with other dance genres.

HH isnt fashionable in the same sense, its "cool" so to speak, but these people like to wear all there unneccessary names, and HH isnt like that.

my problem isnt with funky, the music is irrelevant in this case, funky will be around alot longer than these leeches will be listening to it.

you know what i mean but you like to type lots, and i cant be arsed to explain myslef again.

please re read the post if you have any further queries

#760474 - 01/08/2004 01:17 PM Re: This Funky House Growth spurt thing [Re: Jay]  
liquideyes Offline
Anti-fun Campaigner
liquideyes  Offline
Anti-fun Campaigner

London, UK
Quote:

Jay said:
HH isnt fashionable in the same sense, its "cool" so to speak, but these people like to wear all there unneccessary names, and HH isnt like that.

I also dislike "brand name" clothing. But I still think that HH is fashionable to a certain crowd. "Fashionable" is just perception, it's all relative. I mean, funky house isn't hugely popular in the grand scheme of things (out of all styles of music on this planet).

Some people like to wear gothic stuff, because that's the "done thing" at metal nights.
Some people like to wear baggy clothes, and go to hard house nights.
Some people like to wear glamorous / brand-name clothes to funky house nights.
Some people like to wear cyber to trance nights.
etc.

These are all trends / fashions. They are "cool" or "fashionable" to the people who wear them. "Fashionable" doesn't mean "expensive" or "popular" on some objective scale.

Quote:

you know what i mean but you like to type lots, and i cant be arsed to explain myslef again.

It probably takes me the same amount of time to enter my post as it does for you to find single-finger type your silly little ramble.

#760475 - 01/08/2004 01:21 PM Re: This Funky House Growth spurt thing [Re: liquideyes]  
Jay Offline
Is Cliquey
Jay  Offline
Is Cliquey

andy, i dont mind having a little discussion with you mate, but dont be condescending.

your a cheeky cunt

#760476 - 01/08/2004 01:32 PM Re: This Funky House Growth spurt thing [Re: liquideyes]  
Belinda Offline
Top Bird !
Belinda  Offline
Top Bird !

Chiswick, West London

Quote:

Garage is good when it is funky & soulful. It's shite when it's all MC's, naff lyrics and stupid "phat" basslines!

#760477 - 01/08/2004 01:34 PM Re: This Funky House Growth spurt thing [Re: Jay]  
addy2hotty Offline
New Member 4 Life
addy2hotty  Offline
New Member 4 Life

Watford, Herts
Quote:

Jay said:

I think it certainly is bandwagon jumping. If a genre is looking more popular then they will 'like it'. I've had personal experience of a friend liking genres like HH and HT in front of others that like it, but behind their backs saying 'i hate it'.

It's the same in most walks of life sadly

SMS/Phone - 07730 585987 E-mail - ajustice @ btopenworld.com MSN - djadamjustice @ hotmail.com 'Save me mumma, save me'
#760478 - 01/08/2004 11:02 PM Re: This Funky House Growth spurt thing [Re: addy2hotty]  
Agent Offline
ClubTheWorld News Writer
Agent  Offline
ClubTheWorld News Writer

Peterborough-ish
Funky House = The room where all the fit women are

My new tune - Acid Test Read the CTW music news HERE DJ collapses after World record attempt "Dont u think its about time you grew up?" "No" Girl's are the Devil
#760479 - 01/09/2004 11:00 AM Re: This Funky House Growth spurt thing [Re: Jay]  
FredTheBaddie Offline
FredTheBaddie  Offline

Fat Tulip's Garden
Quote:

Jay said:
Quote:

FredTheBaddie said:

I think you'll find there were a few more than that. And obviously you know all about it, not actually being registered at the time ? And that still doesn't change the fact it was mainly funky, no matter how many members there were.
Since when has the site been about hosting nights and offical DJs ? I thought it was about the MEMBERS.

Quote:

Quote:

FredTheBaddie said:
Well then they obviously don't 'love' the genre, they're just following the lastest fashionable thing . Either that or their taste has just changed.

So you agree with me then??

So it seems. A percentage of people will be into whatever's fashionable and therefore will jump on the next bandwagon. Yes.

Quote:

HH cannot be compared in a Fashion sense to neither Garage or Funky because it hasn’t got real street cred (to mugs who wear Burberry etc) in the sort of form these people are looking for.

Wrong. Within Dance music, Hard House is fashionable. You only have to look at all the music rags to see this, 2 or 3 years there was hardly any coverage of Hard House, now it's all over the place. Just because it's not fashionable to some perceived group of yours, doesn't mean it's not fashionable. Which is what Andy said.

Quote:

i.e. Stand round and try and look a bit good ( read Vain, shallow cunt i/o Good)

Sorry, what's this got to do with anything being fashionable ?

Quote:

Its just that Funky is becoming more fashionable and so people jump on the bandwagon

Ok.

Quote:

everyone is standing around wearing the same shit, its all 80’s retro at the mo, thinking there a fucking groundbreaker and real trendy when really they are just a sheep.

That's just fashion generally. To be fashionable, you have to basically wear what other people wear. And don't tell me this doesn't happen with Hard House. At the next HH event you go to, count how many people are wearing Cyberdog clothing. Even to the extent where 3 or 4 people have the same Cyberdog T-shirt on. It's these people who think they're individual, when in reality they've fallen into exactly the same fashion trap as the people they (and you) are slagging off. At least so-called 'trendy' people know that they're following fashion.
Quote:

Quote:

FredTheBaddie said:
And who exactly are you talking about ?

You are taking this seriously arnt you Ray.

Sorry, I thought this was a serious forum for discussion of music-related issues. If you want to piss about, go to the general forums.

Quote:

find where i said anything about "this site is HH"

When you said 'lots of people are starting to jump on the funky bandwagon, even on this site', you implied that this site was inherently non-funky, and the rest of your post talked about people into Hard House. If that isn't what you meant, what is ?

Fred The Baddie Email: FredTheBaddie at ClubTheWorld dot com MSN: Fox_Raynard at hotmail dot com I am not part of any majority -- Now in my MP3 player : Agnelli & Nelson - Holding on to Nothing --
#760480 - 01/09/2004 11:07 AM Re: This Funky House Growth spurt thing [Re: Agent]  
FredTheBaddie Offline
FredTheBaddie  Offline

Fat Tulip's Garden
Quote:

Agent said:

And that's good enough for me.

#760481 - 01/09/2004 11:57 AM Re: This Funky House Growth spurt thing [Re: FredTheBaddie]  
JoeDrawb Offline
New Member !
JoeDrawb  Offline
New Member !

Conwy, North Wales
Quote:

FredTheBaddie said:
Quote:

Agent said:

And that's good enough for me.

and me

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 33 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Admin2017, Dj_Watson, Lucy_fur, Banana_Moo, jackripper
2123 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
CreamyC 31,828
Maria 22,280
Claire DC 21,708
Mr_Moo 14,793
James_dup1 12,468
Mr_Happy 11,873
SarahPvc 10,883